Gordon's School is a State Boarding School
Gordon’s is one of very few state funded schools in the UK that offer boarding alongside some of the very best education in the country. Each year, state boarding schools like Gordon’s regularly out-perform other state schools with many topping academic league tables around the country. At Gordon's the combination of the excellent state-funded education and a stable, nurturing and caring boarding community enables pupils to make the most of their talents and abilities. See below for the findings of our 2013 Ofsted "Outstanding" boarding inspection.
The Pastoral System
Pastoral care at Gordon’s is led by Mr R Pavis, Deputy Head (Pastoral) who is also responsible for residential boarding Students are allocated to a House – there are four residential Houses and six day Houses. Each House is led by resident Houseparents assisted by House Tutors and Graduate Assistants. Houseparents are responsible for the safeguarding and welfare of their students and for monitoring their academic and personal development. The Houses are the centre of a student’s life within the school and are instrumental in fostering a sense of community at Gordon’s. Students tell us that they enjoy socialising and participating in House activities, particularly the annual Inter-House competitions. Parents are encouraged to maintain close links with their child’s Houseparents and can contact them directly at any time.
Accommodation for residential boarders is provided in four separate Houses, each with its own individual family atmosphere. Each House is led by resident Houseparents assisted by House Tutors. The boarding Houses comprise of a mixture of common rooms, study areas and sleeping accommodation with all meals eaten in the main dining room. Extensive recreational activities contribute to creating a thriving, caring and friendly atmosphere and there are always a wide range of activities going on in the evenings and at weekends including theatre trips, outings and a great deal of sport.
At Gordon’s, the lives of day boarders and residential boarders are inextricably linked. All students take part in our extended day which comprises of an activities programme which runs from 3.50pm to 4.50pm and Saturday morning school. Day boarders can eat their evening meal in school followed by supervised prep in Houses from 6.00pm to 7.30pm – a resource which is invaluable in supporting students’ academic progress.
Ofsted Boarding Inspection 2017
Please click here to view the full report.
OUTSTANDING OFSTED INSPECTION
Gordon’s has once again been judged outstanding in all categories.
- Residential boarders flourish and make exceptional academic, social and emotional progress. Residential boarding brings added value to the school and makes a vital contribution in assisting residential boarders fulfil their potential and make the most of their unique abilities. Residential boarding enhances academic achievement.
- Aspirational senior leaders convey their vision, passion and enthusiasm for continuous improvement to a dedicated residential boarding staff team. High expectations and new initiatives are positively influencing residential boarders who strive to achieve.
- Residential boarding staff are exceptionally caring, generous with their time and responsive to individual needs. Positive, warm and encouraging relationships are at the heart of the community.
- Safeguarding residential boarders is at the centre of practice, with a strong commitment to protecting them from harm. Staff understand the pressures faced by young people. E-safety and the appropriate use of social media have high importance. Supporting residential boarders to develop emotional resilience is a new initiative to promote their well-being.
- Respect, courtesy and consideration for others are embedded in the culture and evident throughout the school. Behaviour is excellent.
- Residential boarders acquire self-confidence, maturity, independence and the skills to live and work with others in preparation for a fulfilling adult life.
Ofsted Boarding Inspection 2013
Gordon’s has once again been judged outstanding in all categories including boarders’ safety, quality of care, leadership and management, and overall provision. In particular:
- Behaviour is outstanding and the relationship between staff and pupils is one of mutual respect.
- The quality of provision and care for boarders has an exceptional impact on the quality of their lives and boarders make exceptional progress.
- The safety of boarders is central to all that the school does. Boarders feel safe and supported.
- The views of boarders are central to the way the school operates and develops its practice.
- Boarders have access to an extensive choice of high quality activities which enable them to acquire and develop new skills and knowledge.
- Anti-bullying is high on the agenda. Because of this, there are extremely low instances of bullying within the school.
- Boarding Houses and facilities are of high quality, well furnished, maintained and offer students a homely environment.
- Routine monitoring of quality of practice is used to drive forward continuous improvement.
Click here to read the full Ofsted Boarding Inspection report.